Friday, January 06, 2006

Cowboys and Indians

Most of you know that I am a sports fan. I am not a fanatic like my husband and a lot of our friends, but a fan. I like to watch professional football (not all day on Sunday, but some plays of a bunch of games). I like to watch college basketball games - mainly UConn, men or women - either are fun to watch. I also like to watch or listen to baseball games (although I would rather be there in person). Hockey is fun...especially if you are with my family at a Bruins game against the Pittsburgh Penguins! Good times!

My neighbor is a sports fan as well. He likes the Texas Longhorns...has for many years (congrats Tommy on the National Championship). He also likes the North Dakota Fighting Souix in hockey. Over the summer we had a conversation about the NCAA's stance on colleges using Native American icons as school mascots. The NCAA feels that using Native American representations is degrading to the tribal nations. (For example: the Illinois Illini, Florida State Seminoles, University of Utah Utes, etc.)

My initial reaction was that the NCAA is right. No group should be singled out and made to be seen as lesser than any other group. You don't see colleges lining up to be called the University of Kalamazoo Caucasians or the Eastern Bumblenook Negros do you. Why then, would calling yourselves the Braves or the Fighting Souix be alright??? Then after hearing that the Florida Seminoles (the tribe not the school) condone the use of their name as that of Mascot at Florida State, and reading the following article by George Will, a columnist with the Washington Post, my opinion has changed.

It is a compliment...these tribal groups are seen as tough warriors and a kind people. Using their likeness as a 'mascot' is claiming their strength and courage as your own. It makes sense and the NCAA needs to keep their tomahawks out of the mascot business.

Have a great weekend - GO PATRIOTS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home