Saturday, September 24, 2005

My Name is Inigo Montoya...

I got up this late morning (due to a great evening of playing cards) and turned on the TV. A couple of great movies were on at the same time (thanks TiVo!): The Princess Bride (1987)(with a young Fred Savage and Cary Elwes; who knew Andre the Giant could act) , and Footloose (1984) (with a young Kevin Bacon, John Lithgow, and, yes, even Sarah Jessica Parker had a role).

How come there haven't been any movies like these in years? Have we become a society that doesn't need to see good win over evil without the bombs, the guns and the violence.

Ren McCormack in Footloose over came evil with a senior prom and some great dance moves.

And sure there may be some violence in The Princess Bride, but it is a fairy tale type of story about "Twwoo Wove" overcoming all odds...the great dueler, the brawn of a giant, the brains of a genius ("inconceivable"), the Fire Swamp with its popping fire balls, the quick sand traps and the large rat-like rodents, then of course...the Pit of Despair. When did we lose these great stories and why can't we go back to simpler times?

Are there any present day movies (within the last 5 years) that have these values and teaches the morals these movies to? Please remind me of them, recommend them and help me to see we aren't a bunch of violent heathens.

...you killed my father. Prepare to die.

2 Comments:

Blogger j. said...

i am 27 and didn't see "princess bride" until like 2 years ago. everyone had seen it but me and told me it was the greatest movie. i was a wee bit disappointed. i have the book (based on the movie) on my bookshelf waiting to be read. my mom read it beofre me (not knowing it was even a movie) and thought it was pretty good. so...

i am rambling. sorry. hi!

2:26 AM  
Blogger j. said...

oh, one more thing...maybe turn on word verification, the bastards are everywhere. evil bastards go away.

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home