Friday, July 08, 2005

Die Hard Red Sox Fans Unite!

Growing up in New England it is almost mandated that we must be Boston Red Sox fans (unless you are from Southern CT then the identity crisis between the Red Sox and the Yankees begins). I, being the dutiful Nutmeger, grew up a Red Sox fan in happy Manchester, CT.

After my parents divorced, my father moved to New Britain. One weekend he, my sister and I went to see a New Britain Red Sox game and my infatuation with baseball began. My visits with my father started to revolve around the NB Sox home schedule. I started to read the sports page to follow the box scores...this is at the age of 12 or 13.

I got a job working in the concession stand at Beehive Field - not the most glamorous job in the world, but I got to see any game I wasn't working for free from the owner - Joe Buzas' office behind home plate (a great view). During my time there, I was able to see the likes of John Valentin, Mo Vaughn and Jeff Bagwell, among others, when they were being honed for the 'show'.

I also have memories of Scott Cooper who played 3rd while I was there. He was traded and never really made a dent in the majors, but he was fun to watch. I recall many times that my father would yell at him from the 3rd base grand stands asking him "Why do you always take an extra step...you only need 1 step." You had to know my dad...

Great memories which are the basis of my love of baseball. That love has ebbed and flowed over the years, but I don't think I could ever be anything but a Red Sox fan - EVER!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home